Who We Are
The Apprenticeship and Training Office (ATO) within the PA Department of Labor & Industry is responsible for guiding and promoting the expansion of apprenticeship programs across the state. As a State Apprenticeship Agency (SAA), it is responsible for overseeing the development and approval of programs, agreements, and policy that support apprenticeship, and is working to embed a focus on apprenticeships within the State’s workforce system and PA CareerLink® offices. While the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania accepts and supports the Federal Standards of Apprenticeship and works closely with the federal office, the ATO has developed PA’s own set of apprenticeship standards that are specific for the Commonwealth. It supports sponsors with the resources they need to implement high quality apprenticeship programs, including through the PAsmart grant program.
- Increase the number of Registered Apprenticeship opportunities in Pennsylvania.
- Expand apprenticeship into non-traditional occupations and serve underrepresented populations.
- Raise awareness about the benefits of Registered Apprenticeship and how to access them.
- Advocate for apprenticeship as a premier solution to meeting workforce needs.
- Provide programs the support and resources needed to align with PA standards and practices.
- Technical Assistance: We assist sponsors during every step of the program building and registration process, and offer continued capacity building to help maintain and enhance programs.
- Strategic Planning and Ecosystem Building: We help local areas create strategic plans and establish a regional approach to growing apprenticeship, and help plan and facilitate meetings among partners, employers, training providers as needed.
- Knowledge Dissemination, Education, and Advocacy: This includes the creation and distribution of knowledge products specific to PA, sharing of best practices, and continuous advocacy in the form of formal support, representation, and presentations.
- Funding Opportunities: We provide access and information related to federal and state funding opportunities available to support apprenticeship.
- Local Support: The ATO supports local areas as they do all of the above, including connecting potential sponsors and apprentices to local contacts.