Tip Sheet for Applying for All OVR Classifications
Pennsylvania OVR’s VR Counselor and VR Counselor, Deaf and Hard of Hearing are full-time, permanent,
civil service positions. The following steps describe the basic process required to apply for civil service employment.
- Please read each classification carefully and answer job-related questions online. Be sure that you meet the minimum requirements outlined in the announcement.
- You must apply on-line at
www.employment.pa.gov. All job seekers must setup a profile to apply for civil service or non-civil service employment. All applicants will be held responsible in keeping track of the status of their application and changes, if needed. Therefore, applicants must upload and submit the following, if applicable:
- An unofficial/official photocopy of your graduate transcript
- A photocopy of your CRC certificate (only if you are certified)
- A photocopy of your letter of approval to qualify for the CRC exam
- A resume or curriculum vitae
- DD214 veteran verification (if applicable)
- Each civil service posting will describe the hiring process that will be used to fill the position. You will not need to take a written test for your master’s level internship or completed degree in the stated fields will suffice.
- VRC Trainee(s) -ONLY. A valid score will be given for that specific posting. Your score will be based on the information reported on application and supplemental questions. Your score will be determined from your work experience and meeting the minimum education requirements. Please be sure to highlight any work experience in rehabilitation or related work setting. Candidates must provide complete and accurate information or it will result in the following:
- score may be lower than deserved
- application processing may be delayed
- disqalification may result
- Email notice test results provided
- Applicants must submit an application for the job title. Instead of taking a written exam at a test center, candidates will answer job title related questions as part of the application process. The job-related questions will be scored for applicants who meet the minimum requirements for the job title.
- Applicants will need to keep track of the vacancies for the district office of their choice. Candidates
must apply to each district office vacancy posting of their choice, to be consider for an interview, if there is an opening.
- Applicants with passing scores will be notified via email when openings are available. The candidates with the highest scores who apply to the openings will be referred to the hiring managers for interviews.
- Applicants will be contacted by the District Administrator(s) to schedule a potential interview.
Conditional Offer of Employment-
If selected and contacted by a District Administrator for an internship or entry level position; you will receive a
conditional offer of employment meaning that you have been recommended and need to complete the following clearances: FBI, Child Abuse and Criminal Background.
If clearances are not completed, you will not receive an official offer of employment or start date. Please be responsible and timely in completing.
Interns Only: Upon a conditional offer of employment, Interns will need to submit a supplemental form from your department chairperson verifying that you are in good academic standing and expected graduation date in addition to completing the clearances.
- It is the commonwealth’s position that the individual bears responsibility to meet the obligations necessary for legal employability. Therefore, as an employer, the commonwealth will not serve as a petitioner for work authorizations and visas.
- Applicants can inquiry to
Hattie McCarter, Recruitment Specialist for OVR for more details at