Begin Main Content Area

Obtaining Duplicate or Revised
Occupancy Permits/Certificates

Under the Fire and Panic Act and the Pennsylvania Construction Code Act (Uniform Construction Code), the Department of Labor & Industry has issued occupancy permits and certificates of occupancy that allow for the legal occupancy of buildings.

Over time, these permits/certificates may be lost. Likewise, building ownership, the building name or the address of an approved building may change.

Assuming that no changes have been made to the previously approved building and no change has been made in the approved use of the building, the Department will issue duplicates or revisions of these previously issued permits/certificates.

To obtain a duplicate or revised permit/certificate, one copy of the Department’s REQUEST FOR DUPLICATE OR REVISED OCCUPANCY PERMIT/CERTIFICATE (form UCC-27) must be submitted, along with the appropriate payment. Click here to access a copy of this form.

On this form, please supply L&I File or MA Numbers assigned to this building. If you do not have these numbers, please call 717-705-7269 or email to request this information. The request should indicate the building name and address, and the county and political subdivision in which it is located.

Please note that if a change in ownership has occurred and the request is for a revised Fire and Panic Act Occupancy Permit, the new owner must supply information about the current use(s) of the building (in Part D of the request form). A Department Building Code Official will evaluate the specified use(s). If a change in the approved building use has not occurred, the revised Fire and Panic Permit will be issued. If a change in use has occurred, the owner will be directed to obtain a UCC Certificate of Occupancy from either a municipality or the Department, depending on who has UCC jurisdiction).

Typically, payment in amount of $5.00 (via check or money order made payable to Commonwealth of Pennsylvania) must be provided. However, if an address change is involved, you must purchase copies of all permits (if more than one was issued). Upon receiving your request, we will notify you if multiple permits must be obtained and if additional funds must be paid, before we can issue the requested documentation.

In the case where the address of a building has been changed, the Department requires that the applicant also submit documentation from either the United States Postal Service (USPS) or the local "911" emergency call center, indicating that the new address is officially recognized.

It is imperative that applicants include their daytime phone number (on the request form), so that we may contact you concerning your request, if necessary.

Mail the completed request form, your payment and (if applicable) the USPS or "911" center documentation to:

Buildings Section
Department of Labor and Industry
651 Boas Street, Room 1606
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania 17121-0750 

Or email to:

Please note that the issuance of a duplicate or revised permit/certificate in no way indicates that the building is currently in compliance with the Fire and Panic Act or UCC requirements. Rather, it indicates that the building was in compliance at the time that it passed its final inspection (which allowed the issuance of the original permit/certificate).