Begin Main Content Area

 Content Editor

Misclassified Workers

Information for Workers

A worker is considered to be an employee unless proven otherwise.

If your employer has misclassified you as an independent contractor, you may not be eligible for certain benefits, such as:

  • Unemployment benefits if you are laid off
  • Health insurance
  • Workers’ compensation insurance
  • Retirement
  • Paid vacation
If you feel you, or someone you know, may be misclassified or know of a business that may have misclassified workers, please take a few moments to submit the Worker Misclassification Inquiry Form or call Employer Tax Services at 866-403-6163 (option 1), weekdays from 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Eastern Time. Additional information is available to help you Identify the Differences Between and Employee and a Contractor.