Begin Main Content Area

Secretaries of L&I


Charlotte E. Carr

Photo of Charlotte E. Carr
Charlotte E. Carr was born in Dayton, Ohio on May 3, 1890. She attended the Dayton public schools and Miss Madiera’s School in Washington, D.C. She received a Bachelor of Arts degree from Vassar College in 1915, and did post-graduate work at Columbia University. From October, 1915, to October, 1917, she was an investigator of the State Charities Aid in New York City. She was probation officer of the New York Probation and Protective Association in New York City, from October, 1917 to March, 1918 and was Assistant Employment Manager of the American Lithographic Company in New York City for several months thereafter.
She held the position of Employment Manager of Knox Hat Company in Brooklyn, New York from 1918-1920. She spent the latter six months of 1920, studying labor conditions and industrial relations in England. She served as Employment Manager of Stark Mills, Manchester, New Hampshire, for over a year. From February, 1922, to January, 1923, she was Placement Secretary of the American Association of Social Workers in New York City. In 1923, Carr was appointed Assistant Director of the Bureau of Women in Industry of the New York Department of Labor. She later became Acting Director of the bureau and was called from this position in July, 1925, to become chief of the newly organized Section of Women and Children in the Pennsylvania Department of Labor and Industry. In May, 1926, when this section became a bureau, she was made its director.
In June, 1929, Carr became industrial consultant of the Charity Organization Society in New York City, serving in that capacity until May 1, 1931, when she was recalled by Pennsylvania Governor Gifford Pinchot to assume the position of Deputy Secretary of the Department of Labor and Industry. On June 1, 1933, the work of director of the Department's Bureau of Inspection was added to her duties.
Carr was appointed the first female Secretary of the Department of Labor and Industry on July 17, 1933, by Gov. Pinchot.
From PA Manual, 1933.