TIP SHEET FOR APPLYING FOR COUNSELOR INTERN POSITION
Pennsylvania OVR’s VR Counselor Interns will complete a 16-week internship followed by eight weeks to complete the probationary period for permanent employment.
The following steps describe the basic process required to apply for a paid internship.
- Read the Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor Intern test announcement #2010-011 thoroughly. Be sure that you meet the minimum requirements outlined in the announcement.
- You must apply the semester prior to the final semester of your master's degree program.
- Currently, you can apply online for these positions. You can complete a paper civil service application or online at www.scsc.pa.gov and submit all of the following documents with the application:
- You may also apply and be placed on the eligible VR Counselor civil service list if you are in the final semester of your rehabilitation counseling master’s degree program. Under this option, you must submit a copy of your most recent transcript and a letter from your department chairperson verifying that you are in good academic standing and expected graduation date.
- After you submit your application and supporting documentation to civil service, send your resume and cover letter directly to OVR's Recruitment Specialist, Hattie McCarter, regarding your interest in obtaining a VR Counselor position in a respective OVR district office(s). You are able to apply to one or more district offices, by selecting up to 10 counties on your civil service application (page 6).
- The State Civil Service Commission will send you the results of your rating. If you meet the minimum requirements, your name is placed on the list of eligible candidates for VR Counselor.
- When a VR Counselor job vacancy occurs and approval to fill has been granted, the OVR district office requests an eligible list from which to interview for that job title.
- If you are interviewed and not selected for the position, your name remains on the eligible list to be considered for future vacancies for a specified period of time. If you are selected for the position, the OVR District Administrator will offer you a conditional offer of employment.
- Conditional Offer of Employment- If selected and contacted by a District Administrator for an internship or entry level position; you will receive a conditional offer of employment meaning that you have been recommended and need to complete your clearances. If clearances are not completed, you will not receive an official offer of employment or start date. Please be responsible and timely in completing this process.
- It is the commonwealth’s position that the individual bears responsibility to meet the obligations necessary for legal employability. Therefore, as an employer, the commonwealth will not serve as a petitioner for work authorizations and visas.