Begin Main Content Area

What Records Do You Need?

Do not wait to file for benefits just because you do not have all the information you need. The Social Security office will be glad to help you. However, you can speed things up by bringing certain documents with you when you apply, if they are available, and helping us to get any other information or medical evidence you need to show you are disabled. These include:
  • The Social Security number, and birth certificate or other proof of age for each person applying for payments (This includes your spouse and children, if they are applying for benefits.);
  • Names, addresses, and telephone numbers of doctors, hospitals, clinics, and institutions that treated you and dates of treatment;
  • Names of all medications you are taking and prescribed dosage;
  • Medical records from your doctors, therapists, hospitals, clinics, and caseworkers;
  • X-rays, laboratory and test results;
  • A summary of where you worked in the past 15 years (company names, addresses, supervisors' telephone numbers) and the kind of work you did;
  • A copy of your W-2 Form (Wage and Tax Statements), or if you are self-employed, your federal tax return for the past year; and
  • Dates of any prior marriages.
  • If you have a checking or other bank account, you should also bring something from your bank that shows your account so we can have your benefits deposited directly into your account.
  • If you are applying for SSI, you should have all the documents listed above. In addition, you may need:
    • Information about the home where you live, such as your mortgage or your lease and landlord's name;
    • Payroll slips, bank books, insurance policies, car registration, burial fund records, and other information about your income and the things you own (including loan notes, stocks, bonds, or other investments.); and,
    • Proof of U.S. citizenship or non-citizen status.